Week 11 Story: The Stepmother's Karma

The evil stepmother from Disney's Cinderella

My mother died 10 years ago, and my father got married to the most evil person I have ever met. At first, I was so happy that he would no longer be alone and that he was in love again, but she treats me so poorly. She sent me to get berries in the snow the other day, well aware that there would be no berries in season. On my journey to find berries, I came across a house with relatives I had no idea about. They were so welcoming and caring. They gave me everything I needed and more. I received new clothes, food, and they told me berries would be on top of the roof under the snow. To my surprise, fresh strawberries were under the snow and I was so happy I could bring them to my stepmother. Weirdly enough, my relative told me to spit on the floor. When I did this, I spit out a piece of gold! I thanked my relatives and went back home. 

My stepmother was more than surprised when she found me in new clothes, with berries, and with a new gift. She decided she would take it upon herself to go where I received all of these things. The next day, she asked me to get more berries and so I went to my relatives house. She followed me on the way there, and so I hid in the house to see what she was up to. My stepmother demanded my relatives to tell them how I recieved my new gifts and the berries. She was incredibly hostile, and my relatives decided to give her the worst gift possible! They changed her clothes into raggedy ones, gave her molded berries, and gave her the gift of spitting out a toe nail instead of gold. My stepmother became furious and ran back home. I laughed and thanked my relatives for giving her the karma she deserved. 


Story source:  Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson (1929)

Author's Note: In the original story, the stepmother sent her biological daughter to follow her stepdaughter. I wanted to change the story up a bit to make it in the point of view of the stepdaughter and have the stepmother follow her into her relatives house so that she could receive karma for treating her badly. 

Comments

  1. Hi Natalia! I loved this story! The way you wrote it from first person almost felt like we were getting a sneak peak into the author's diary or journal. I will admit, it took me a minute to understand that this was not the retelling of Cinderella, rather that you were just using the evil stepmother photo, but that's on me! Overall, I really enjoyed this story and thought you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalia! I love the title of this piece, and that you changed it up to be more of a first-hand experience. I would recommend expanding a little bit of the details of the story, as it was kind of confusing. I am not sure why her relatives have these powers, or how exactly she found these relatives. I also think that your writing style is great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Plant Lover

Week 3 Story: Adam and Eve Retold