Week 13 Reading Notes Part A: The Three Little Pigs

The Three Little Pigs: Source 

I have heard the story of the three little pigs so many times throughout my life. In fact, we did a lesson not too long ago with the children at my job at an after school program about the three little pigs. I have always heard the phrase in the story "Not by the hair on my chiny chin chin" and was surprised to learn that this was said because the story was originally supposed to be about goats who turned into pigs! Even though I have heard the story so many times, I seem to have forgotten how the story ended. The wolf came and blew down the first two pigs houses since they were built out of straw and a bundle of furze, and then ate them up. The third pig had a house built of brick, and therefore the wolf was not able to blow the house down. The wolf tried to trick the pig into getting out of his house 3 times, and each time the pig went earlier than he should he would meet the wolf. The wolf was very angry about this and decided to go into the house through the chimney. The pig put a pot of boiling water under the chimney and the wolf fell in!

Story Source: English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1890)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Plant Lover

Week 3 Story: Adam and Eve Retold